Capacity Building on Competition Policy in Select Countries of
Eastern and Southern Africa
Botswana, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Uganda
March 22-23, 2005, Entebbe, Uganda
CUTS Centre for Competition, Investment & Economic Regulation (CUTS C-CIER) has recently undertaken a project entitled ‘Capacity Building on Competition Policy in Select Countries of Eastern and Southern Africa’, popularly referred to as ‘7Up3’ project with support from the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD), Norway, and the Department for International Development (DFID), UK. The project is being executed in seven countries of the region: Botswana, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Uganda.
CUTS C-CIER organised the Launch Meeting of the 7Up3 Project at the Imperial Resort Beach Hotel, Entebbe, Uganda on March 22-23, 2005.
One of the main objectives of the 7Up3 project is to develop the capacity of stakeholders including the policy makers, regulators, civil society organisations, (especially consumer associations and groups), academicians and the media through a participatory research-based advocacy process to understand and appreciate prevailing competition concerns from the national, regional and international perspectives and enable them to respond appropriately.
Participants from the project countries shared the experiences of their respective countries in addressing competition issues with experts, including competition authority representatives from other countries in the region; international specialists on the topic; regional authority officials; representatives from inter governmental organisations and development assistance providers.
- Meeting Agenda
- Competition Policy and Economic Development
- S. Chakravarthy, Consultant, India: Paper & Presentation
- David Ong ’olo, Spellman & Walker Co., Kenya: Presentation
- Lucian Cernat, UNCTAD, Switzerland: Presentation
- Addressing competition concerns in the region
- Ibrahima Aidara, Consumers International ROAF, Zimbabwe: Paper
- Competition Regulation Interface (realities from developing countries)
- Ama Asantewah Ahene, ISSER, Ghana: Presentation
- Malathy Knight John, IPS, Sri Lanka: Presentation
- Ann Rita Ssemboga, UCC, Uganda: Presentation
- Monnane Monnane, BIDPA, Botswana
- Gebremedhine Birega, AHaECoPA, Ethiopia
- Maxton Grant Tsoka, University of Malawi, Malawi
- Kheshwar Jankee Chandan, University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- Rehabeam Shilimela, NEPRU, Namibia
- Shaban Sserunkuma, CONSENT, Uganda
Preliminary Country Papers
For more information, contact:
Consumer Unity & Trust Society (CUTS),
CUTS Centre for Competition, Investment & Economic Regulation
D-217, Bhaskar Marg, Bani Park,
Jaipur 302 016, India.
Ph: 91.141.228 2733
Fax: 91.141.228 2485
Email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org